Thursday, July 24, 2014

Why engines should be kept clean

I learned something today.... In retrospect, I should be embarrassed that I learned it today. It should have been the kind of thing everyone knows. Worse, it probably IS the kind of thing everyone knows, but I wasn't listening before today. I've even heard other people say it before, but I thought of it as a nice idea, but not basic essential: engines should be kept clean, and the first step to working on an engine, whether it's a car or a lawn mower, is to clean it, if it's not clean.  

The reason I finally understood this simple principle, is that I read it in my lawn mower's owner's manual today. Consequently, I actually thought about the benefits of keeping an engine clean. When working on a clean engine, it's much easier to avoid accidentally getting dirt into the engine. An even more basic reason for keeping it clean, is to avoid wear and tear. How many times have I waited to do work on a car or a lawn mower because the job would be too dirty? How many times have I taken more time than necessary when I did work on a car, because I couldn't see what I was doing, couldn't read labels, or got dirt on my glasses? Years ago I kept engines clean because my wife wanted everything clean. At the time I thought it was unnecessary, but anything that made her happy made me happy, so I kept my vehicle engines clean. However, over time, I got lazy, because I have never reasoned out the value of a clean engine. 

Now I know.

---------------------------------------

Reasons to keep an engine clean

  • It's more pleasant to work on a clean engine.
  • It reduces the effort of working on an engine.
  • Reduced effort translates to less time spent, and less money spent.
  • A cleaning routine serves as a maintenance reminder.
  • Fluid leaks are easy to detect when an engine is clean.
  • Dirt is less likely to get into the engine when the surface of the engine is clean.
  • A clean engine may run slightly cooler.

---------------------------------------




Caution


Do NOT get water into electronic parts, into the air filter, or into any of the fluid reservoirs. Cover the air filter, electrical connections, and fluid reservoir caps with plastic before spraying an engine with water. DO NOT spray COLD water on a HOT engine!





---------------------------------------


How to keep an engine clean


Keeping an engine clean is easier than cleaning a dirty engine. Follow a weekly routine to wipe off the engine with a damp rag, and to check the oil and other fluids. There are a number of reputable commercial products for cleaning oily build-up, including foam cleaners for light cleaning, and gel cleaners for extreme cases.

Spraying an engine with high pressure water may cause damage. 
DO NOT spray COLD water on a HOT engine! If spraying an engine at a car wash, use a hot low-pressure soap, rinse with low-pressure hot water, and BE SURE to cover the air filter, electrical connections, and fluid reservoir caps with plastic before spraying an engine with water. After cleaning, remove plastic, and run the engine gently for a few minutes afterward, to evaporate the remaining water.




No comments: